Thursday, December 21, 2006

If I could be any animal...

When I was a kid, I used to wonder what it was like to be something other than what I was. For instance, in the heat of summer I was envious of fish. When I was stuck in a classroom all day, I wondered what it was like to be a woodland creature. All animals (fish, birds, woodland creature...) have their drawbacks. It would be no fun as a fish on a cold, sunless day. Rabbits and squirrels had to evade countless predators. Today I was reading the book Song of the Alpine by Joyce Gellhorn when I discovered a near perfect animal match for myself. The Marmot.

Marmots start their day around sunrise (perhaps one of the few drawbacks). They spend their early morning eating tasty little salad items. By midmorning they're sacked out on rocks sunbathing. Around noon or so, when it gets a little too hot, they retire to their burrow for a siesta. After the usual afternoon rain show, it's outside again for more sunbathing. Late in the afternoon is another feeding session. Within a few minutes of sun down, it's back to the burrow (sounds like a Bruce Springsteen album). I like to think they spend that time in the nest reading, writing, or building little marmot websites. Maybe snuggling up to a handsome Mr. Marmot too :)

No comments: