Tuesday, March 13, 2007

My Current Reading List

I'm a multi-tasker when it comes to reading. There are so many books that are on my radar, I usually read more than one at a time. For now, Portrait of the Artist of a Young Man is on hold. I want to follow along with a book on tape and try to absorb some of the things I missed the first 'listen' around. Then I want to read it stand-alone, without narration. This may be very far in the future indeed.

Currently I am reading 'The Story and Its Writer' (wish this blog had underline available) by Ann Charters. It's a collection of respected short stories by authors like Cather, Chekhov, and Joyce to name a few. Probably my first endeavor into publication will be a short story. Reading this collection of short stories has given me a lot of ideas as well as entertainment and inspiration. This type of book can be read along with other works. Since each story represents its own entity and does not tie to the others, I make slow progress through the book, allowing me to focus other time on novels.

I have plans to start two books simultaneously this week. The first is called, Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud and somebody named Townsend:) I'm interested in establishing boundaries in relationships to cultivate healthy intimacy. Several friends have recommended this book, and I reading and discovering which principles I need to apply to my own life will prove to be a growth experience.

The second book I plan to start "Song of the Lark" by Willa Cather, will be read for a book discussion group I am trying out at a local library. Several times I have tried to begin this novel before, only to drop out early on due to limitations on my time. I have read 3 other novels of Cather's, each of which struck deep emotional chords with me, and I am hopeful that this novel will be no different.

Write and let me know what you are reading and how it is impacting your life.

No comments: