Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Lakewood Trail Running Series Race #3

I've been participating in a trail running series through the Lakewood, Colorado Recreation department. The first two races were held at Bear Creek Lake Park. This race was the third in the series and it was held at Green Mountain. Here one of the volunteers explains the Long course (7.0 miles). The Short course, which is the series I am racing, was only 4.5 miles. I am the racer in the foreground wearing red shorts, and a ball cap:)
Now we are getting ready to start. The course was made up of rolling hills, but it was rocky and difficult to tread at times. The trail is rutted in places by mountain bikes. I sorta felt like I was running in a ditch during those sections. Also, there were a lot of mountain bikers out on the trails at the same time we were racing. Most of them were respectful and shared the trail thoughtfully.
And we're off! I look like I only have one leg! The start was straight up hill. I don't know how long that went on. I'm a terrible judge of distance:)
I always start out toward the front, and usually end up finishing last. I am not running daily like most of these runners. I would probably do a lot better in the races if I did. I felt the best during this race though. My breathing wasn't as ragged and my legs feel stronger. I didn't walk as much as I have on previous courses. It was a good race for me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: