Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Living in the Now: 8/16/2012

Sometimes events unfold unexpectedly.  Those we think do not belong in our lives, re-emerge.  New chances are created.  Sometimes it is uncertain whether God is testing us to resist them or to re-engage them.  I think this was a test of honesty.

A few months ago, a guy friend of mine got engaged.  It was a little bitter-sweet.  I knew he wasn't right for me, which is why we did not formally date.  But it was a bit of a discomfort to hear that he is engaged and that I am still standing still.

But in fact, I am starting to move.  Picking up this book The Law of Happiness has made me realize that I can find happiness.  While I am an introspective person by nature and have seen myself in the past as a person who is on the outside, I now know that I can change my perspective by seeing the world around me through a different lens.  That lens means letting go of envy and examining my life through the lens of God.  His view of me sees all of my potential and uses grace to cover over the flaws.  He made me this way.  He is taking me somewhere that is different than everyone else.  Along the way will be lessons.  Lessons are often the result of pain.  They don't always have to be, but I've learned the most through painful experiences.

That said.  These are the things that I found enjoyable today:

1.) Reflecting on a friendship that I thought was over.  He reached out to me and invited me to his wedding.  What a courageous thing to do.  God spoke to me and said, have courage in your life.  Be honest with him, regarding his questions.  Don't make excuses.  Just be honest.

2.)  I am leaving to get a haircut in about a half an hour.  I am so excited.  It will be relaxing and fun to see my hair in a "kept" state.  I generally get a haircut about once every 4 months.  My friend Craig will be cutting my hair and we can catch up on where we are in life.

Taking in a normal, every day experience.

Coming home to my laptop?  It's much better than looking at information on my iPhone.  I swear that thing is making me go blind.

No comments: