Sunday, May 6, 2007

More Great Quotes

Norman Maclean has a way with words. He has a way of analyzing a story so that you can see it, and as if that wasn't enough, he usually tags some profound philosophical insight onto the end. I usually learn something about myself, or maybe just human nature when I sit down with one of his stories.

"...old enough to know that the problem of identity is always a problem, not just a problem of youth, and even old enough to know that the nearest anyone can come to finding himself at any given age is to find a story that somehow tells him about himself."

"It is in the world of slow-time that truth and art are found."
Perhaps why I don't like to live quickly. Why I take extreme pleasure in escaping to the mountains on a camping trip, where stripped of the modern world and left only with what does not not need to be plugged in, I can finally contemplate what is needed, what is beautiful, and what is true...

1 comment:

Walt said...

Alas, I arrived too late; Lisa's blog is dead.