Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Working For "The Man"

Well...paint me a red stapler, I'm back working for "the man". I recently accepted a new software development position and traded in my library card for a lousy computer chair and goopy keyboard at a desk that doesn't quite fit. Monday, I actually found myself texting a friend that "somebody had a case of the Mundays" and that would be me. I *would* upload a virus to the main frame, but I can't even access my gmail account (NOTE: That opinion in no way reflects the views of my new company or my own opinion for that matter, since I no longer have one. Dang those non-disclosure agreements!).

I miss staying at home all day with my pup, reading on the couch and learning important things like "how the western world came to their conclusions". I miss waking up when my body wants to. I miss my freedom. However, since I am working for "The Man", I am thankful to be learning modern software practices/tools like: the Maven build tool, structuring Java Web Applications with Struts, learning another configuration management tool, and learning how to use the JSTL. At least if I have to work for "the man", I am in an interesting environment with plenty to laugh at (mostly from corporate policies), a culturally diverse group (I've always wanted to learn about India) of people, and great things to put on my resume...just in case I need it again.

No comments: