Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Living in the Now 08/06/2012

I am reading a book by Dr. Henry Cloud called The Law of Happiness:  How Spiritual Wisdom and Modern Science Can Change Your Life.  An exercise that he reccomends is savor two pleasurable experiences each day and take a few moments to relish a normal experience.

Yesterday was a hard day.  It was filled with anger and doubt.  Anger with myself for standing still for so long.  Doubt on how to move forward, even though I know what part of it is.  And I know that it will probably cause me pain.

But in my quest for a Happy life, which I am decidedly not living at the moment, I want to begin these exercises.  I have hope that it can change the way that I think.

Pleasurable Experiences:
1.)  Geocaching.  This was fun because it made me excited about where I am.  I was happy and content to explore the area that I had chosen.  I investigated new places that I wouldn't have otherwise.  For instance, I took some time to walk around a chapel that I had seen from the highway for years.

2.)  The sound of a high school marching band in the distance.  It gave me this picture of community, and how the students were practicing together for a common goal.  How their participation in this group hopefully led to greater satisfaction at school, since they would find friends within this group.

Oh look at this!  I am recalling a third memorable pleasurable experience.  I didn't even know there was one.

3.)  The sound of children screaming and playing on a playground in the distance.  In the dusky light, I could see them swinging high on the swing set.  So high that they were screaming in delight or fear.  I am not sure which.  It was a powerful emotion either way.  In my mind's eye, I could see them gathering.  Sitting around shooting the bull.  Or chasing each other on the equipment.  I imagined many of them.

Relishing a normal experience:

In retrospect I am relishing this.  Petting my dog mira as we lay on the bed ready for sleep.  She is so sweet and looks at me with the most sorrowful and trusting eyes. 

No comments: